Thursday, June 2, 2011

the Merced River and Yosemite National Park

I have been a good dog and I got to go to Yosemite for the first time in my life. It was Pa's first trip as well. 

We took a roundabout way...
On our way -- Hwy 49 above Lake McClure. 

McCabe Flat Campground - me, in front of our tent

We camped on the banks of the mighty Merced
Pa paddled from the Hwy 140 bridge down past Ned's Gulch. At the takeout there was a very interesting looking snake. It's in the lower right quadrant just at the bottom edge of the photo. Bob went to take a look and it slithered away.
Bob went to check out a King Snake
That evening, Marshall led us downriver to North Fork Falls. That's one scary looking rapid.
We hiked to North Fork Falls 
Pa also ran the play section below Briceburg. Here he is getting launched in Split Rock.
Pa got launched in Split Rock
There was a nice surf wave in front of our campsite and the river ranger got a popup. Ma was lucky to catch that in this photo.
The river ranger got a nice pop-up
Pa practiced some of his rusty playboat moves and it didn't end well. He missed his roll, took a long swim and nearly lost his boat.
Pa in a surf wave across from our campsite
On Saturday, we drove into Yosemite National Park. The weather was dicey which made for great pics.That night was miserable for me. It rained hard and I had to sleep in the wayback of the car instead of outside of Ma and Pa's tent.

El Cap and Merced headwaters

Ribbon Falls and El Cap: Marshall had never seen
Ribbon Falls so full of water.

Upper Yosemite Falls

Classic Yosemite shot

Gathering clouds - it rained hard on us that night
Pa was enthralled as was Ma. She had not seen so many falls with so much water. They plan to come back and I hope I can come too! So, 'til my next misadventure, be good, be safe and if you rock the boat you better roll or you'll meet an ignominious end. 


1 comment:

  1. It looks like a great adventure! I love camping with my peeps.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete